2016

Terryl Brumm Announced as New CEO of the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities.

2006

BGCTC kicks off its Bridge to the Future Campaign. The five-year drive will raise $15 million to expand current club locations and update the Voyageur Environmental Center.

1999

The Minnesota chapter of the National Society of Fund Raising Executives names the Women’s Association as an Outstanding Philanthropic Organization for its exceptional leadership in community service.

1999

Minneapolis and St. Paul agencies merge to form the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities (BGCTC).

1996

Roxanne Spillett becomes the first woman to head the organization.

1990

Recognizing the need to serve girls too, the organization changes its name to Boys & Girls Clubs of America.

1984

The Boys Club of St. Paul separates from the Union Gospel Mission forming its own board of directors.

June 1982

James P. Crotty was appointed Executive Director to replace Todd Severson who resigned to take a corporate position in the Minneapolis business community.

April 1982

A building was purchased at 3644 Chicago Avenue South to replace the temporary Southside Club located on Fifth Avenue.  A plan is being developed to add a gymnasium to this new building, which will make it comparable to the original Claire Fawcett Club located at 2322 Blaisdell Avenue South.

December 1981

A dinner was held at the Minneapolis Club to honor Bertin C. Gamble for his many contributions to the Minneapolis community.  One hundred distinguished corporate leaders attended this dinner to give recognition to Mr. Gamble.

May 1981

The “20th Year Alumni Celebration” was held to recognize significant Boys Clubs Alumni accomplishments.

January 1981

John W. Lackens, Jr. was elected Chairman of the Board and David Stricker was appointed President.

September 1980

Jack Cornelius hosted a “Founders’ Dinner” at the Minneapolis Club for the twelve living founders to recognize the 20th Anniversary of the founding of the Boys Clubs of Minneapolis. Al Cole, Chairman of the Board of Boys Clubs of America, attended this anniversary and again made a leadership contribution.

July 1979

A “Ten Year Birthday Party” was held at Camp Boys Club with members of the Baker family, campers and Boys Club staff.

April 1978

David D. Stricker was hired as Executive Vice President, to be responsible for the overall operation of the Boys Clubs in Minneapolis.  Todd K. Severson continued as Executive Director, in charge of the Boys Club facilities and programs.

April 1976

An arsonist burned out the Fourth Avenue Club and a new Club was opened in a four-plex house at 3835 Fifth Avenue South.

January 1976

A tunnel was built connecting the Jerry Gamble Boys Club and the new North Star Community School.  A first in Boys Club history.

September 1975

The Claire Fawcett Boys Club was closed and staff and equipment transferred to the Fourth Avenue Boys Club due to the population shift of youth in the area.

April 1974

Construction started on the addition to the Jerry Gamble Boys Club which included a swimming pool, boys and girls locker and shower facilities, auto mechanics shop and office space.  This addition was opened in November, 1974.

October 1972

An extension club was opened known as the Fourth Avenue Club, located at 4243 Fourth Avenue South.  The grant to open this club was given by Paul J. Schmitt in memory of 25 years of business association with Naegele Outdoor Advertising.

1969

The Women’s Association sets its primary mission as a fundraiser for the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities.

1968

The Baker Foundation donates 120 acres of land near Mound, Minnesota, for the development of Camp Boys Club. Now called Voyageur Environmental Center, the wooded camp area and educational center serves over 3,500 guests each year.

June 1966

Mr. Bertin Gamble announced the Gamble Skogmo Foundation would finance the building of a Boys Club in North Minneapolis in memory of his son, Jerry Gamble.

June 1967

Construction started on the Jerry Gamble Boys Club, located at 2410 Irving Avenue North.  The Jerry Gamble Boys Club was completed and opened January 15, 1968.

June 1965

The Boys Club Endowment Fund was started.  The fund has grown to over $1,300,000.

January 1965

Page Graves became the Executive Director of the organization.

1964

St. Paul’s Union Gospel Mission secures affiliation to the Boys Club of America.

September 1962

Co-ed events for boys and girls were scheduled to help meet the needs of the community.

August 1962

A new addition named “The Cedric Adams Memorial Gym” was added to the Claire Fawcett Club.  The addition contained a gym, balcony, kitchen, multi-purpose room, woodshop, arts and crafts, phy-ed room and office space.  A hot meal program was started.

1962-1967

“Camp Minnebow”, a day camp at Lake Independence, was in operation for Boys Club members.

May 1962

The Minneapolis Lions Club donated an 80 acre camp near Willow River, Minnesota, known as “Camp-Na-Wa-Kua”.  The Willow River location was re-named “Camp Voyageur”.

1961

The first Minneapolis location opens on Blaisdell Avenue South and is named the Claire Fawcett Boys Club.

May 1961

The “Claire Fawcett Boys Club,” a gift from the Gordon Fawcett Sr. family, located at 2322 Blaisdell Avenue South, was open and dedicated on May 1, 1961.  Robert Coleman was hired as the first Executive Director.  The Women’s Board was established at this time.

December 1960

The first Board meeting was held in the home of Chester D. MacArthur, who became the first Board President.  After a personal gift by Al Cole, President of the Boys Clubs of America, each member rose and made his pledge.

1960

A board of directors is formed and funds are raised to launch the Minneapolis Boys Club.

May 1960

Jack Cornelius met with 14 Minneapolis businessmen, judges and police officers, who voted to start a Boys Club and form a Board of Directors.

1959

“Your city of Minneapolis is the only city of its size in our country that doesn’t have a Boys Club.  Won’t you please do something about it?”  This request was made to John C. Cornelius by Herbert Hoover, Chairman of the Board of Boys Clubs of America.

1956

Boys Clubs of America celebrates its 50th anniversary and receives a U.S. Congressional Charter.

1931

The Boys Club Federation of America changes its name to the Boys Clubs of America.

1926

The Union Gospel Mission opens the St. Paul Boys Club in the Bethel Hotel.

1906

The Federated Boys Club, with 53 member organizations, forms in Boston. It’s the start of a nationwide movement.

1860

A cause was born when a group of pioneering women in Hartford, CT organized the first Club. They believed that boys who roamed the street should have a more positive alternative.